Updated: Oct 19, 2018
Meatless Monday's in my house still happen every Monday! This week I decided to make an oldie but a goody: Lemon & garlic capers - whole wheat meatless pasta! Make it for a crowd or smaller portion just for you!
Bonus: Yes you can also pair this with a great protein as well.
Below are your ingredients. I love the Himalayan Pink Salt! It's my favorite! You use much less than traditional table salt, and it has more flavor! You can't beat that! Quick and easy and I'm going to show you how!
***What's not pictured is Parmesan Cheese
1. NOT PICTURED: Bring your water to a boil and follow the directions on the package for your whole wheat thin spaghetti. Once cooked and drained set aside.
2. Below is 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic (minced), sautéed over medium heat. Take half of a yellow or white onion and peel and slice place into the pan with the garlic and olive oil.
3. Sauté till onion is translucent, about 5-7 min.
While the onion sautés, slice one whole lemon thinly.
You’re going to use the ends, so don't throw those out!
4. Add 2 teaspoon's of capers. Not the juice! Just the capers. (The juice is pickling and vinegar we don't want too much of that in our pasta now do we?) (I hope you’re shaking your head no. lol...)
Place capers into the pan, and add 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp dried basil
5. Squeeze the two end pieces of lemon into the pan as well.
Also place the thinly sliced lemon into the pan.
6. Sauté for another 3-5 min.
7. It's time to add the cooked whole wheat pasta into the dish. Please take notice that I've left the lemon in the pasta! It's okay to leave it there; but, yes you can also take it out. Give it a great toss with tongs, making sure it's well mixed.
8. Place into a serving bowl or platter and then serve from there or serve right onto the warmed dinner plate.
Top off with 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and enjoy! Pictured below is 1/2 cup pasta and small wedge salad.
Ingredients/ shopping list:
Thin spaghetti. I used whole wheat and only half a box.
Yellow or white onion, halved
1 medium lemon
2 garlic cloves
1 - 4 oz. jar of capers (You’re going to use 2 tsp.)
1/4 tsp Sea Salt (I use Himalayan Pink Salt)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta as directed on the package then drain
2. Using 1 Tbs. olive oil place in fry pan over med heat
3. Sauté onion and garlic 5-7 min
4. Then add capers & dried basil and salt
5. Lemon slices and lemon juice from the ends of the fresh lemon
6. Sauté another 3-5 min.
7. Add drained pasta to your dish. Toss with tongs till completely mixed in.
8. Top with 1/2 shredded Parmesan cheese
Serve with Bread or Side Salad
For more Recipes with Nichole, be sure to subscribe to her website and receive newsletters with extra goodies and her “Foodie Blog" as new recipes post weekly.
Tag Like and Share
Be sure to catch Accountability Cube Podcasts hosted by Yours truly, new episodes weekly.