Mexican Street Corn
This yummy and spicy Mexican Street Corn is inspired by the actual corn-on-the-cob street style that you can get at any carnival or food cart. I've taken the corn off the cob and used it as a dip, side dish or put it inside of tacos.
Quick and easy & perfect timing for Cinco de Mayo!
Keep in mind you can spice this up or keep it simple with great flavor, it's that easy.
Everything you see here is listed below for your ingredients.
I'm using a jalapeno pepper with no seeds in it. *** Include the seeds for hotter flavor.
1. Prepare and cook the corn-on-the-cob:
You have two options here:
a) Grill the corn on the BBQ grill 8-12 minutes on medium
b) Peel and discard the corn husk. Rinse, and place them in the microwave for about 6 min.
NOTE: Your microwave may have a preset fresh corn control button! Use that if it does. Otherwise, cook on high and check every 2-3 minutes. You’re cooking just long enough to be tender, but please don't over-cook it, as it will be tough.
2. When the corn is done, carefully slice the kernels off the cob. (I actually take a paper towel wrap the end (handle) part and take a knife and slowly run it down the shaft of the corn on all sides removing all the corn kernels. Remember it's going to be hot!)
NOTE: If using the microwave method, sauté the kernels in a pan with a tsp of butter for a great “cooked on the grill” flavor!
3. Finely dice the jalapeno and chop cilantro. (Separate a small pinch of cilantro for garnish)
4. Mix the remaining ingredients (except the corn) in a separate medium bowl
5. Carefully stir in the corn (you don’t want to crush the kernels), adding chili powder, paprika, and salt, to taste.
6. Place in a servicing dish and top with fresh cilantro
Enjoy with chips as a dip or side dish for dinner or bring to the next backyard BBQ and watch it disappear quickly as it's sure to be a crowd favorite!
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 10 min. Total time: 20 min.
This recipe serves 4 (approx. 2 cups)
2 ears of corn white or yellow
1/3 cup cilantro
1 tsp. Butter
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use olive oil mayo)
4 oz of crumbled feta cheese or cotija (I used flavored feta as pictured above.)
1 jalapeno diced (OPTIONAL: seeds removed)
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 garlic clove minced
Juice of half lime
Pinch of chili powder
Pinch of paprika
1. Remove husk from the corn and place and cook in microwave (6-8 min, checking every 2-minutes until tender), if using BBQ then cook 8-12 min turning often
2. Once cooked the remove corn from cob, carefully as it's going to be hot. (If using the microwave method, then cook kernels over medium heat in a skillet pan w/ 1 tsp. butter until golden brown.)
3. Wash and prepare the jalapeno and cilantro (dice jalapeno and chop the cilantro, separating a pinch of cilantro for garnish.)
4. In medium bowl stir in the mayo, cheese, cilantro, cayenne, jalapeno, and minced garlic. Mix well. Add juice of half lime and stir until the juice is completely mixed.
5. Mix in your corn. Add salt, chili powder, and paprika to taste. (REMEMBER: you can add as much as you want a little at a time, then more if needed. Once it’s in, you can’t take it out!)
6. Serve warm with chips.
**Can also be served chilled. Simply place in refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy.
Be sure to tune into Accountability Cube Podcast found on iTunes, hosted by Nichole Banks. Don't forget to Tag, Share and Like as well.